Hi, I’m Joy Adan. I’m a freelance writer, based in Sydney, Australia. This is my blog.
I’ve been on the blogosphere for over ten years and writing since I was given my first journal (a white, hard-cover A6 diary with a brass lock and key) at the age of 6. I’ve penned (and typed) hundreds of thousands of words for both business and leisure, and this blog is just one of many creative outlets.
I write because I believe in the power of stories. A great story opens minds and transforms hearts. A great story fuels learning and inspires action. A great story turns an everyday meal into a lifelong memory. Our lives, our histories and our cultures are a collection of these stories.
As a writer, my goal is to create connections between people through these stories and to record the everyday discovery of something personal and precious. As you read these posts, I hope you find something precious too. Whether it’s encouragement, entertainment, education or empathy, if you find it I hope you share it and create a great story of your own.
Behind the logo
I had a lot of fun (and angst!) creating the logo for this blog. It was a creative project that I began months before I launched the website and tells a bit of a story in itself.
- Love drives everything that I do – love for God, love for family, and love for life. Without love, all our efforts are nothing (1 Corinthians 13). But with love, even the simplest of actions have great power.
- Food is my happy place. Fun, hilarious and amazing things happen when food is involved. My biggest celebrations and fondest memories involve sharing a meal or a drink (usually caffeinated or alcoholic ?) with people that I know. I am mesmerised by good food. It doesn’t have to fancy – it just has to be prepared and enjoyed with love.
- Sunshine and the ocean are my driving force. Give me a few hours with these two elements and I am recharged and ready to roll. I learnt pretty early on that burnout happens when we don’t take the time to recharge… which is why I wanted to dedicate a chunk of this blog to helping others (especially women – coz we tend to forget!!) to do just that.
- Writing is what I do, it’s who I am – hence why the pen is the first letter of my name ?. Shouldn’t need explaining (otherwise read the first part of this page again). The pen – which is intentionally shaped to look a bit like a paintbrush – also reflects my other creative pursuits. As much as I love the written word, design and photography keep me going too.
- The airplane symbolises my need to explore – not just faraway places and exotic countries (though that is something I thoroughly enjoy), but my own city and my own space. Growing up and raising a family in Sydney is amazing and such a privilege. I want to discover all its hidden gems, and share them with you.
The original sketches featured a lot more elements but I decided the scale it right back for this final version. I haven’t included a home or anything to do with health and beauty, but you’ll soon see (after reading a few posts) that all these things are important to me, just as they are to most of the people I know.
Who’s this blog for?
Anyone who comes across it and enjoys what they read!
It’s for creatives who need a bit of inspo, for mums and dads who need a hand getting through the chaos that is parenting, for people who love to drink wine and vent at the end of the a long
It’s for people who love their meat pies as much as a seven-course degustation, and are just as happy throwing a towel into a bag and hitting the nearest beach as they are flying for 24 hours to see the ruins in Pompeii.
It’s for people who get that life is crazy and really hard sometimes, but there is always something worth celebrating.
It’s for people who choose love and light, and want to bring a sense of wonder and magic back into the world.
It’s for people who respect and uphold the dignity of human life, and want to celebrate that – even in the simplest of ways.
It’s for strugglers and stragglers and people who know they’re imperfect… who are restless and searching, who are waiting and hoping… and certain that somewhere, someday they will find their own little slice of true and everlasting joy. ❤️